Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Things I Learned Making the Very Hungry Caterpillar Quilt



1. While cutting up a panel allows for more creativity and interest in the layout of the quilt, it requires a lot of math to put together blocks with measurements like 3.75 by 21.5 and 19.25 by 22.

2. Appliqueing shapes onto blocks is a lot harder when you've already sewn all the blocks together.

3. I need a design wall.

4. A quilt this size is too big for me to meander-quilt well. Even with the excess quilt rolled up tightly, my hands were simply too small to grip the quilt securely enough and still be able to move it around.

5. It is quite tricky finding the proper balance between the speed of the needle and the speed with which I move the quilt around.

6. Quilt stitches which vary from a millimeter to a quarter of an inch are not good.

7. Meander quilting is scary.

8. Five-year-olds do not care about nos. 1-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment